What is it?
The ‘Try Cycling’ Programme involves a group of people cycling to and from school, college or work over a 4 week period with all the support they need to make it happen.
Key amongst the support package is the loan of a quality bike and equipment the lack of which is the principal deterrent to people cycling to school, college or work.
The full programme involves the following:
- A recruitment phase with a range of promotional materials and mechanisms including a small roadshow event where prospective participants can choose the bike they will use
- Before and after questionnaires to gather both data on behaviour and attitudes to cycling
- Loan of quality bike and accessories for 4 week trial period
- A bike handover day
- Route planning and cycle commuting advice
- Cycling confidence and competence check
- Free maintenance support
- Email and telephone support during the trial period
- Opportunity to buy bikes & equipment at discount at end of programme
- Report at end of programme on key outcomes