Holiday Cycle Training Courses for School Children
Cycle Training over the school holidays is a perfect way to get your children riding safely on the roads or to recap from the training they received during the school term!
The Bikeability training is designed to give children the skills and experience to cycle safely and confidently on the road, and to enjoy a bike ride.
It is Cycling Proficiency for the 21st century and involves cycling in both an off-road playground environment and on roads around the vicinity.
Children enjoy cycling and of course it brings many health benefits, develops confidence and gives them independence. Children who have been trained are much safer and, in addition, tend to cycle more. If you are unsure what level your child is please check out our comprehensive guide to Bikeability.
Level 1 training is open for all ages, whilst Level 2 and Level 3 cycle training is open for 10 year olds and above.
There are a limited number of places available and applications will be accepted on a “first come, first served basis”.
Your child will need to bring with them for all their course sessions:
- A bike which is roadworthy. (A bike check will be carried out on the first day and any bike which is not roadworthy will have to be fixed for your child to continue on the course. Download our bike safety checklist.
- A bike which is the correct size (Not too big and not too small)
- A cycle helmet (which again must be of the correct size and fit properly.)
In addition you will need to ensure that your child:
- Has sufficient warm clothing including gloves (sessions are between 1 and 2 hours and are outside) High visibility tabards are provided.
If it is warm of course they may need some sun protection and water or fluids with them.
- Has some wet weather clothing e.g. a shower or waterproof jacket as a minimum and preferably some overtrousers. The training will continue in light to moderate rain but will be suspended if there is a heavy downpour.
You will be notified by e-mail of your place on the relevant course.